“Here’s the truth-and this one is thoroughly biblical: throughout life you will face one situation after another that will be completely beyond what you can handle.”
Have you ever read a book, and about 10 pages in, you realize that this book in going to have a significant impact on you? It has happened only a handful of times for me, and “Plan B” by Pete Wilson definitely falls into that catagory.
Pete is the lead pastor of Cross Point Church in Nashville, TN and is also an active blogger and twitterer. In this book, he tackles one of the toughest questions we face in life: “What do you do when God doesn’t show up the way you thought He would?”
I found Pete’s discussion of this difficult subject to be incredibly honest and personal. Rather than offering a “paint by numbers” approach to overcoming adversity, Pete candidly shares some of his own “Plan B” experiences as well as the doubts and desperation he felt in the midst of them.
Of the 80+ statements that I highlighted in this book (yeah, I counted them), here are a few of my favorites:
- We get ourselves into all kinds of trouble when we assume God must think and feel as we do
- ….deep hurt and shattered dreams have a way of blinding us to the character and beauty of God.
- Every one of us faces a barrier that is keeping us from the life God has for us
- ….it’s as much about the person we’re becoming as it is about where we’re going.
- [The cross is] the place where the pain of “you will have trouble” meets the triumph of “I have defeated the world.”
- You’ve got to stop looking at your shattered dreams and your unmet expectations as something God is doing to you….He might be doing something in you.
If you have recently been through a “Plan B” situation and are trying to make sense of it, or if you (like me) currently find yourself in one, this book is a great guide to help you find hope (or more accurately, the Giver of Hope) in your situation.
Because I believe this so strongly, I have decided that this Friday, I am giving away a free copy of “Plan B”. To qualify for the drawing, here’s all you have to do:
[Please note: This give-away is now over. I have already selected the winner and distributed the copy of this book. Everything below this note is left here for historical purposes, so that the comments make sense. However, I have also removed the links.]
- Leave a comment here explaining why you would like a copy of this book.
- Tweet about this givaway by clicking here. -> Tweet This!
That’s it! Simple right? By the way, if you don’t have a twitter account (why not!) you can still enter by leaving a comment and posting a link on Facebook by clicking here. -> Facebook
On Friday, May 7th at noon EST, I’ll randomly pick one entry as the winner, and post the results here on my blog.
Oh, and you can check out the “Plan B” website here: http://www.planbbook.com/